With many homeowners stuck at home, spring in New England is the perfect time to revamp the yard that kept you indoors last year! As a team of professionals that provide Massachusetts lawn care at AllGreen Lawncare, we often hear people avoiding the outdoors because of clutter and unsightly landscaping.
By decluttering and reorganizing a messy yard, you can create a backyard paradise for you and your family to enjoy. From old patio furniture to neglected shrubs, a little cleanup and redesigning of your current landscaping is the perfect way to ensure you get the most out of the upcoming season.
If you find yourself avoiding your backyard, you may be surprised that getting your yard into shape is easier than you thought. By following these quick and easy steps, you’ll be well on your way to obtaining an outdoor space your family can enjoy this summer.
Tackle your large items
One of the first places to begin when cleaning up your yard is with the clutter. Whether it’s broken swing sets, rusted patio furniture, or piles of firewood, these items quickly become an eyesore. One by one, decide if these items are worth saving or if it’s time to let them go. Here are a few ideas to offload things that may no longer be serving you:
- Whether a local shelter, family in need, or donation center. One person’s junk is another person’s treasure.
- Check out online marketplaces like Craigslist and Facebook
- Hire a professional company that offers waste/junk removal services
- Consider rolling up the sleeves for a little DIY. For example, rusted furniture can easily be restored with a little elbow grease and YouTube instructional videos! Not only is this a great opportunity for the kids to get involved, but it can save you money in the long run. Sanding, repainting or spraying, and updating pillows or other accessories will bring your worn-out furniture back to life in no time.
Move onto the little things
Once you’ve cleaned up the eyesores, it’s time to take a look at the smaller items that are hanging around. From gardening tools to lawn care items, small items that are scattered around can leave your backyard messy. Depending on the extent of the mess, sometimes it’s easier to categorize and organize in sections. Start with selecting a space to store your items, and be sure you have an organizational solution to store them.
Below are examples of common categories for items in the backyard.
- Gardening and lawn care tools, planters, and ornaments
- Patio furniture, cushions, and accessories
- Children’s outdoor toys
- Pool accessories, supplies, and maintenance equipment
- Fire pit accessories and wood
Redesigning your backyard
Now that you’ve decluttered, it’s time to look at the layout of your backyard. Redesigning your landscaping doesn’t have to be an overwhelming experience if adequately planned out. Here are a few areas to consider when freshening up your backyard:
- Add a firepit to your patio or backyard
- Trim, clean, and mulch neglected shrubs and trees
- Clean, edge, and mulch gardens – add garden hose hangers and create storage for unused items
- Clean up your pool area with fresh stone, planters, and edging
- Designate an area for children, add rubber mulch and storage for toys
Now that you’re well on your way to an appealing, usable lawn, remember that your trusted Massachusetts lawn care experts are always here to help! For more information, contact our team at AllGreen Lawncare today. We’re here to help with spring cleanup, general lawn care, as much more! Contact us at (781) 762-7080.